All You Need To Know About Australian Family Visas

Posted on: 11 September 2020


The family visa allows you to enter Australia to visit close family members that are either permanent residents or Australian citizens. There are different types of family visas for people that would want to join their relatives living in Australia. Read this extract to learn about these family visas. 

Tourist Visa (Subclass 600) Sponsored Family Stream

The permit allows you to visit your close family for a maximum of twelve months. Typically, you must be sponsored by your family member. Your sponsor must demonstrate that you are related. For instance, they should provide a birth or marriage certificate. The visa can either be single or multiple entry. A single entry visa automatically expires once you leave the country. 

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

This is a visa designed for people that would want to marry Australian citizens or permanent residents. The immigration department will vet the applicant and sponsor (fiancĂ© to the applicant) to ensure that they are in a genuine relationship. More often than not, the department will ask you to produce a certificate from a certified marriage celebrant. This visa expires after nine months.  

Partner Visa (Subclass 820/801)

This lets spouses or de facto partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents to temporarily or permanently live in Australia. Subclass 820 is a temporary visa while subclass 801 is a permanent visa. The applicant and sponsor must prove that they are either married or in a de facto relationship. Besides, they must be willing to live together permanently.  

Parent Visa (Subclass 103)

This visa allows parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens to become permanent residents in Australia. The department conducts a balance of family test to determine your links with your children that live in Australia. Your sponsor (child) must be willing to support you while in the country. Besides, you must have health insurance. 

Remaining Relative Visa (Subclass 115)

This allows you to become an Australian permanent resident if you are the remaining relative to an Australian citizen or permanent resident. As such, you can study, work and travel in and out of the country. The department will conduct background research to ascertain that you are the only remaining relative to the Australian citizen or permanent resident. They will revoke your application if you have had a previous visa cancellation.

An immigration attorney will help you choose an appropriate family visa. As a rule, your agent should be licenced to provide consultation services in Australia.